For many, the festive season is a time when we prepare and eat lots of delicious food, but the unfortunate reality is that a lot of this food goes to waste.
Here are some tips to help you avoid food waste:
- Plan out what dishes you will need to prepare, taking into consideration how many people you’re cooking for.
- Make a shopping list so you only buy what you need.
- Do a stocktake of your fridge and pantry before heading to the shop so you don’t double-up on items you already have.
- Store the food you buy properly to help keep it fresh for longer.
- Let people serve themselves, so they only take what they can eat. Any food left on your serving plates can be stored away for leftovers.
What to do with scraps and spoilt food
When you’re preparing your food, it’s pretty likely that you’ll produce some food waste – think veggie and fruit peels, eggshells, prawn shells and bones.
And if you’re worried about the smell or pests, check out these tips.